The mission of Patterson Park Public Charter School is to be a place where students thrive as members of a vibrant and inclusive learning community supported with families, caregivers, staff, and neighbors engaged in a practice of whole-child education. By teaching and learning from one another, we embrace unique identities and cultivate an atmosphere of love.
The Vision of Patterson Park Public Charter School is life-long learners, healthy families, and strong neighborhoods.
OUR COMMUNITY SCHOOL
As a Community School, PPPCS creates a network of partnerships with other community resources that promote student achievement and family and community well-being. Our integrated focus on academics, enrichment, health and social supports, youth and community development, recreation, employment, adult education and family engagement leads to student success, stronger families and healthy communities.
PPPCS is a community-founded school devoted to a whole-child education philosophy and driven to academic excellence in a diverse setting. We believe in:
- Children: We believe in the awe-inspiring potential
of children and their abilities to challenge us, move us, and surprise us in ways large and small. They are the core of our teaching and learning community.
- Equity: We believe in being a community that embraces the unique identity of each member. We nurture each child’s identity development through personal growth and an understanding of historical contexts of race, gender, and other expressions of self.
- Love: We believe who you are as a person before you come to school matters, so we care for, protect, support, and encourage everyone in our community by cultivating a network of committed, caring individuals and strengthening family and community structures that support healthy interpersonal relationships.
- Creativity: We believe the way to academic excellence is to foster creativity and critical thinking by challenging every child to excel using interdisciplinary, thematic, hands-on instruction.
- Wellness: We believe in cultivating an accessible and supportive environment to maintain and improve every child and family’s physical, mental, social, and emotional health.
- Collaboration: We believe in togetherness, collaboration, and co-creation. We value, trust, and celebrate and rely on each other’s voices, ideas, opinions, and perspectives.
Charter schools are independent public schools that are allowed to be more innovative and are held accountable for improved student achievement. The Maryland General Assembly passed the Charter School Act of 2003 “…to establish an alternative means within the existing public school system in order to provide innovative learning opportunities and creative educational approaches to improve the education of students.”